There is a common wisdom about the best time to detox by eating a particular way. As your Northern Virginia acupuncture clinic, we’d like to share our unique perspective on acupuncture detox.
For instance, if you have recently come through a period of heavy medication use (a long period of antibiotics, a chemo or radiation session, allergy medication during a few months in fall); if you have for some other reason been exposed to environmental toxins (perhaps you are an insurance adjustor tromping through burned out houses or businesses); if you have been diagnosed with GERD, IBS, Gastritis or heartburn and you want to sooth your tummy; or if you have been stressed at work for so long that you feel you have simply lost your hope…detoxing is good for your spirit as well as your body.
These are all good reasons to give your body a day or a week to return to a semblance of normal “feeling good” by feeding it something that will not only clear some toxins, but also be nourishing.
You can do this by fasting for a day (or four), “eating” only clear liquids that include such things as lemon water, veggie or meat broths, light protein shakes, watery fruit juices or very light soups of almost any kind.
Based on Chinese medicine “Five Flavors of Eating & the Energetics of Food” we have developed our signature Detox Soup Recipe. It will fill you up, nourish you, satisfy the five flavors, and get your ready for the next season.
Chinese Medicine Detox Soup Recipe
- ½ C dried barley (Flavor: sweet, salty)
- ½ C fox nuts* (Flavor: bitter)
- 6 large green onions (Flavor: pungent) (use white and green part although cleansing property is in white only)
- 1-2 cans of tomatoes (Flavor: sweet, sour)(or fresh tomatoes if preferred, or omit if you hate tomatoes)
- 1 head of bok chou (Flavor: pungent)
- 1 green pepper (Flavor: pungent)
- 1 celery bunch (Flavor: salty)
- ½ C fresh parsley (Flavor: pungent)
- Combine barley and fox nuts in a pan, bring to a boil in 3C water, then simmer, covered, until soft (about 30 minutes).
- Chop vegetables (make the pieces quite small) and put in a large pot.
- When barley and fox nuts are soft, add them, and their cooking water, to the vegetables. Add more water to cover the vegetables. Bring to a boil. Cover and simmer for 10 minutes.
*Fox nuts are the vegetable herb that has the energy of releasing unwanted fluids and sending it down and out of the body. They are available in Asian grocery stores or Chinese pharmacies. If you cannot find them locally, contact us (email@example.com) and we can mail them to you. The cost is about $10 for enough to make two batches of soup (plus shipping).
We are experts in the use of acupuncture to treat chronic back pain; acupuncture for neck pain; acupuncture to treat infertility; acupuncture for weight loss; acupuncture detox cleansing; cosmetic acupuncture; and Thai massage. Our Arlington-based Northern Virginia acupuncture clinic has openings every day for new patients. Contact us today.